- About Us
- Resources and Opportunities
Central Jamaica Conference Shepherdess is a chapter of Shepherdess International, a programme funded by the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventist under the auspices of the Ministerial Association, to meet the specific needs of ministers’ spouses. Survey of minister’s wives revealed a need for an effective support system that can encourage and educate women in their role as wives, mothers and leaders. The minister’s wife has been one of the neglected, yet most valuable resources of the church. To meet her unique needs, this organization has been established on an international scale. Among the goals of Shepherdess International are:
- To create awareness of the needs for local organizations to provide support for the spouses of ministers.
- To help pastoral spouses understand their importance and recognize their unique spiritual gifts.
- To train pastoral spouses as paraprofessionals in ministry.
- To provide fellowship and support.
- To encourage the ministerial family to spend their time together. Central Jamaica Conference has embraced this program and boasts a thriving shepherdess chapter. Activities include yearly enrichment retreats, quarterly general meetings and monthly parish meetings.
The Shepherdesses of Central Jamaica Conference serves the local church by providing an enriched helpmeet for their husbands. They understand the expectations of their husband’s congregations and use their talents and skills to enhance the programs of the church. The local church is being guided as to how to better appreciate and compliment the efforts of the pastoral family.
Central Jamaica Conference has a group of talented Shepherdesses who continue to go the extra mile to facilitate their husband’s ministry.
The role of keeping their Pastor /husbands happy and supported is usually not seen, but it is absolutely essential for a prosperous church. Outreach activities engaged in by these sisters include visits to shut-inns, visit fellow shepherdesses and church members.